Sunday, August 2, 2009

My First First Date

I haven’t dated in over 7 years. I haven’t flirted in over 7 years. A lot has changed during this time. There are now a million ways to communicate – Facebook, texting, phone, email…which means you have to check all these forms of media to find out if your guy of interest is interested in you. Let the fun and amusement.

I met Dancer the night of my co-birthday bash with my BFF. One thing you need to know about me early on is I will talk to anyone. I often stray from my group of girls and find complete strangers to talk to – I also get to know the servers/cocktail waitress/bartenders at my fav establishments. So back to Dancer…totally not my type but I was intrigued by his incredible dance moves. I found it very sexy. I have identified my target for a first date. Someone who is fun, different and someone I know I won’t be interested in romantically. I am a perfectionist and want to practice dating with guys I don’t like first so I am good at it by the time I go out with someone I really like.

Day before 1st date
I drive all my friends CRAZY…do I offer to pay because I am a southern girl and really I don’t mean it if I offer? BTW…call me old fashion but if you make me pay, we won’t be going out again. What do I wear? I don’t want to be too dressed up or too dressed down. Should he pick me up or should we meet? What if we don’t have anything to say? How do you end the date? What should I order? How many drinks should I have? What if he asks if I am divorced, how do you answer that?

Day of the 1st, 1st date
I am sick to my stomach. Why I nervous – I don’t get nervous about meeting people. It’s my job to talk to people, connect and build relationships so dating should not be a problem. Not to mention, I am a very outgoing, confident girl. Again, why am I nervous?

I have to leave work early because my stomach is in a knot and I can’t think about anything except the date.

I call my out of town BFF and ask her if I should have a shot before my date to calm my nerves. Answer: NO, you don’t want to get drunk on the 1st date.

I met Dancer at a Latin tapas restaurant. He appears to be extremely nervous to the point where he is sweating. I turn into a mute. All I can think about is what is wrong with me, normally I am a chatterbox. We both get a drink in us and he carries the conversation. I ask questions, he gives long answers.

I discovered, I don’t like talking about me and would rather ask questions about my date.

After a couple sangrias, Dancer offers to teach me salsa. I am a white girl with no rhythm so I become extremely nervous all over again. However, this is my chance to be the couple that doesn’t care what people think and even though no one else is dancing, we are going to get up and dance.

I was terrible, but he pretended like I did an ok job. It was a lot of fun and Dancer was a total gentleman. He walked me to my car and gave me an innocent 1st date kiss.

I am so relieved to have the 1st date over and feel back to my confident self. I now know what to expect!

No comments: