Sunday, September 27, 2009

Have I Lost My Mind?

A friend of a friend sent me an email this week asking if I would be interested in going on a date to a UGA game with her best guy friend. Because at this point, I have nothing to lose and want to go on dates, I said yes.

Yes, you heard me. I agreed to go on a blind date that required at a 2 hour car ride each way, a 4 hour football game PLUS tailgating time. This is coming from a person that doesn’t even like for her dates to pick her up so she doesn’t have to talk to them in the car and use up precious conversation pieces on the way to a date and to avoid an awkward ride home if the date sucks.

The date called and followed up in an email. His emails were pretty funny all week so I felt fine about having so many hours to fill for a 1st blind date.

We were going to the game with another couple who were only on their second date so it was bound to be an interesting day. It poured (not hard rain) pouring, at one point I thought we were going to drive through a tornado, the entire drive to Athens. Of course, I didn’t think anything about bringing an umbrella, raincoat, nothing so I am totally unprepared for the weather. Luckily, my date was a total gentleman and prepared with a raincoat for me. He also had my fav beer, orange vodka for mixing with sprite during the game, etc. Because of the weather, we tailgated in the car. We were in a Tahoe with captain’s chairs so it wasn’t too crowded. The conversation was ok on the way up to Athens, not continuous or any crazy connection, but it was fine.

Funny story of the night…I wore thong shoes that had a canvas like bottom. Walking to the stadium was like wading through a river. At one point I looked down and my left shoe had soap suds all over it. I forgot that I had used spray in way to clean the bottom of the shoes and obviously didn’t wash all the spray and wash off. Anyway…it was funny to me but probably a “you have to be there moment.”

Our seats were club level in a box like setting so the weather had no impact on the enjoyment of the game. I am an avid sports fan – especially football, so it was fun to go to the game even though I didn’t have a vested interest in the outcome, plus I had a chance to show off my football knowledge.

All in all, the date was fine and nothing terrible. I was really tired by the end of the game and since it was a night game we didn’t get back to Atlanta until midnight. He was super nice, very funny and a total southern gentlemen but I see myself being friends with him and hanging out more than a romantic interest.

No comments: